A true powerhouse for the mobile worker who isn't messing around. The Peplink Pepwave Max HD2 LTE Cat6 LTE-Advanced Model is a serious mobile router for the advanced user. With a dual modem configuration, integrated power-over-ethernet (PoE - Requires 48v or optional power adapter), integrated 4 port switch, and USB support for a 3rd external MiFi cellular modem, this unit is one of the most advanced mobile routers on the market today. The HD2 is capable of connecting to AT&T, Verizon, Sprint & T-Mobile (and more) and with the new Category 6 LTE Advanced modem your getting support for the latest LTE bands being used and support for many legacy 3G bands as well (see below for details). With simultaneous dual-band wifi you can setup multiple networks for 2G (range) and 5G (speed) within your coach to optimize and load balance your devices based on their needs. You can also configure your secondary wireless channel to be dedicated to WIFI-AS-WAN providing increased speed when using wifi hotspots and campground wifi. Integrated secondary wireless controllers allow for the ability to control additional wifi access points within your coach or boat. Thanks to automatic failover switching and multiple SIM slots with multi-carrier support, you will always be connected while on the road using a single, easy to use device. This router has a max router throughput of 400Mbps making it rated for up to 150 users (or one serious mobile worker).
We recommend pairing the HD2 Series of cellular routers with our Poynting 7-in-1 Roof Mountable Antenna
which provides 4 cellular antennas, 2 wifi antennas, and 1 GPS antenna in a compact, convenient roof mountable antenna solution. The antenna has multiple mounting options and includes all the adapters required for use with the HD2 Series. An excellent pairing for extending cellular coverage and performance while also providing you with excellent range on the use of Campground Wifi using the Wifi-as-WAN feature. More information below under the WiFi-as-WAN section. If you are thinking of using this modem in a stationary location, please contact us for directional antenna options that may be more suitable.
Dual Modem Explained
The HD2 has 2 sim card slots and dual LTE-A modems that can be used at the same time. This will allow you to utilize two cellular connections AT THE SAME TIME, providing advanced traffic routing and load balancing capabilities.
The Basics/How it Works
The MAX HD2 LTE-A is a complete mobile internet solution for travelers who are looking to use Cellular data as their primary mode of staying connected. The HD2 LTE-A accepts sim cards directly into its build in cellular modems that are compatible with AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint & Verizon. The HD2 LTE-A has 2 sim slots allowing you to load this router with multiple sim cards from multiple carriers allowing for simultaneous use. The signal from your cellular connection is then re-broadcasted wirelessly inside your coach or travel trailer using the units high powered 802.11ac/a/n and 802.11b/g/n antennas ( 802.11ac 1166 Mbps Wi-Fi WAN and/or AP Simultaneous Dual-Band). You get powerful 2G (long range) and 5G (high speed) wireless connectivity while also getting wired ethernet ports for your most demanding devices like VOIP phones or desktop computer/workstations. The HD2 takes things one step further, adding an additional pair of wireless antennas for Wifi-as-WAN use. By providing dedicated Wifi-as-WAN wireless antennas the HD2 can simultaneously pickup public wifi while broadcasting it internally using a second pair of wifi antennas for much faster Wifi-as-WAN performance.
You can also utilize the HD2's LTE-A's Wifi-As-WAN functionality to connect to campground wifi in addition to utilizing the cellular modem. For the advanced user, you can load balance multiple connections (advanced feature) allowing you to utilize wireless/wired and cellular connections simultaneously. Truly an industrial grade, mobile workhorse for the serious travel enthusiast.
The units highly customizable web interface supports a variety of advanced routing features and will satisfy the needs of advanced users while being extremely easy to use for the non-tech users as well. The unit accepts 12v inputs (bare wire screw down terminals) or you can use the included AC adapter for 110v installation.
WIFI-As-WAN & Roof Mounted Wifi Options
If you are looking for longer range to pickup distant WiFI signals you can add a roof mounted antenna to further improve your ability to pickup campground wifi signals.
What's In the Box?
All hardware and accessories are included to get started with your MAX HD2 LTE-A, including 4x 4G LTE antennas, 4x Wi-Fi antennas, 4x 5ft long wifi magnetic extension adapters for honing wifi a GPS antenna and an AC power supply and rack or wall mounting hardware. You can also ditch the power supply and run 12v cables directly into the MAX HD2 LTE-A.
Setup & Training Options
New for 2021, MobileMustHave now has 2 revised setup options. Whether you are a seasoned pro or new to mobile internet and would like assistance, we have you covered. Below are our 2 setup options selectable above at checkout.
- Do-It-Yourself Setup – Once your order ships, detailed instructions will be emailed to your inbox complete with detailed installation guides for both mobile routers and roof antenna installations. Use our self-help installation guide to get from box to surfing the web in no time. What’s best is the cost. Free!!!
- Instructor Led Setup & Training Class – Get personalized setup and training for your new mobile internet solution. Our team will help you get the unit online and will remotely configure common settings so that you can begin using the internet without having to break out the instructions manuals and learn tech talk. We will update the device to the latest secure firmware, setup your WIFI and passwords and give your wifi a unique name of your choice. We will then verify the unit is functioning properly and setup remote access to your new mobile router through Peplink's secure Cloud Management Portal. You will then have access to live instructor led classes to review all of the basics on how to use your new mobile internet solution. All classes include a question-and-answer session to ensure all of your questions are answered and you can always return after a few weeks and attend a second class if you have more questions.
- Internet Connections Supported: 2 Embedded 3G/4G/LTE, 2 Wired WAN, 1 USB, , WiFi as WAN
- Networks Supported for Embedded Modems: 4G LTE (B2/1900, B4/AWS (XLTE), B5/850, B13/700, B17/700, B25/1900), WCDMA/HSDPA/HSUPA/HSPA+/DC-HSPA+ (B1/2100, B2/1900, B4/AWS, B5/850, B8/900), EV-DO Rev.A (BC0/800, BC1/1900, BC10/800)
- WiFi Standard: Dual-band 802.11ac
- WiFi Range: 400-500' through walls, much greater unobstructed (variable depending on interference from other electronics and physical interference such as walls and ceilings)
- Ethernet ports: 4 GbE LAN + 2 WAN
- Size: 1.56" x 10.24" x 5.66"
*Compatibility with all WiFi networks cannot be guaranteed. Networks requiring authentication on a "splash page" (e.g. Starbucks WiFi) in particular can be hit or miss.